Skip to main content
Categories: 

The Aspie Quiz

Published: April 11, 2020
Last updated on November 1, 2023

The Aspie Quiz (version 5) is a self-administered questionnaire to measure autistic traits in adults (age 16+) with an IQ in the normal range (IQ >=80). In fact, it measures both autistic and neurotypical traits in five domains: talent, perception, communication, relationship, and social.

Basic information
Questions: 119
Duration: 10–20 minutes
Type: screening tool
Author: Leif Ekblad
Publishing year: 2013
Seminal paper: Autism, Personality, and Human Diversity: Defining Neurodiversity in an Iterative Process Using Aspie Quiz (Ekblad, 2013)

Take the test here:

Note

The test may be inaccessible via mobile browsers.
If so, please try accessing the test via desktop instead.


Dr. Natalie’s rating: 5 stars for appropriate and respectful wording, 5 stars for clarity & lack of ambiguity, and 4 stars for testing accuracy.Dr. Natalie’s rating: 5 stars for appropriate and respectful wording, 5 stars for clarity & lack of ambiguity, and 4 stars for testing accuracy.


Who the test is designed for

  • Adults (age 16+) with IQ in the normal range (IQ >=80).

Test versions & translations

  • The most up-to-date version of the Aspie Quiz is version 5.
  • The Aspie Quiz is available in various languages, however, this is version dependent:
    • Version 4: Swedish, German, Russian, Polish, Italian, Slovak, Portuguese, French, Chinese, Hungarian
    • Version 3: Turkish
    • Version 2: Spanish
    • Version 1: Norwegian, Czech, Dutch

Taking the test

Registering is unnecessary if you would rather not—simply click the “I accept” button.

The Aspie Quiz (version 5) consists of 120 questions, giving you 4 choices for each question:

  • ? — Don’t Know
  • 0 — No/Never
  • 1 — A Little
  • 2 — Yes/Often

Note: The questions are reordered each time you take the test.


Scoring

The Aspie Quiz (version 5) is made up of 119 questions that fall into five domains:

  • Talent
  • Perception
  • Communication
  • Relationships
  • Social

While the Aspie Quiz (version 4) used to output a neurodiverse and a neurotypical score—indicating that the participant is neurodiverse, neurotypical, or mixed—the Aspie Quiz (version 5) outputs the following:

  • Your score: 0–200
  • X% probability of being atypical (neurodivergent/autistic) or typical (neurotypical)

The probability does not seem to correspond directly to the 0–200 scoring range, however. We found that:

  • A score of 140 or more results in a 100% probability of being autistic
  • A score of 100 results in a probability of 50% probability of being autistic
  • A score of 95 results in a 63% probability of being typical (so 37% probability of being autistic)

In version 4, the following were the possible results based on your scores:

  • Very likely autistic (neurodiverse) — Your Aspie score was at least 35 points higher than your neurotypical score
  • Very likely neurotypical (neurotypical) — Your neurotypical score was at least 35 points higher than your Aspie score
  • Both autistic and neurotypical traits (mixed) — The interval in-between (less than 35 points difference)

It’s unclear how version 5 calculates the probability of being neurodivergent/neurotypical (or atypical/typical as it’s now called), since it no longer compares your neurodivergent and neurotypical scores. However, just like version 4, version 5 generates the following diagram (except for neurotypical/neurodiverse being reworded to typical/atypical):

The Aspie Quiz diagram on which the results of the test are mapped.
Natalie’s score: 126 (ND) / 86 (NT)

Validity

The threshold of 35 accurately confirms 80% of diagnosed level 1 autistics/PDD-NOS.[1]Autism, Personality, and Human Diversity: Defining Neurodiversity in an Iterative Process Using Aspie Quiz (Ekblad, 2013)

Note that the Aspie Quiz is particularly prone to outliers, meaning that you may score below the threshold on this test, while registering as autistic on other tests. But no single test is conclusive anyway; take several autism tests to corroborate your results. We also found that version 5 tends to yield lower scores than version 4 did.

Also, since the Aspie Quiz has been updated to version 5, it no longer correlates with peer-reviewed tests.


An illustration of Natalie pointing to the title ‘Discussion’.

Discussion

Dr. Natalie Engelbrecht

Overall I found that the Aspie Quiz was good. The following are its strengths:

  • It has gone through several iterations, which has resulted in the questions being more updated than the AQ or RAADS–R
  • There are four more questions than results, because Ekblad included four control questions to ensure that people were answering truthfully
  • The scoring shows possible comorbidities, which is helpful because it opens other avenues of investigation related to neurodiversity. For example, I saw that a low neurotypical talent score is related to dyslexia and dyscalculia
  • Even though some of the questions are enigmatic, they are overall reasonably easy to understand
Eva Silvertant

The following are some of the weaknesses of the Aspie Quiz:

  • Version 4 has some errors in matching the questions and results. I think these are likely artifacts left over from the previous three versions
  • Initially puzzling is that the neurotypical domains refer to deficits or differences in specific skills
  • Some of the test items are unfamiliar with respect to autistic traits. For example, a preference for walking behind a person
  • The test has some control items to combat inconsistent answers. While you would think this is good in principle, in practice it sometimes happens that you answer all the items earnestly, but that the test refuses to calculate your score because you supposedly answered too many of the items inconsistently. This can be both puzzling and demotivating for some test takers; and it may even be the case that some users won’t be able to get any results
  • Version 5 seems to copy questions directly from the monotropism test, but it’s not clear how those questions relate to the 5 domains of the Aspie Quiz
Hailey Revolone

Version 5 of the Aspie Quiz tends to yield lower scores than version 4 did, and I observed the following differences in the 5 domains:

  • Lower Atypical Talent
  • Higher Typical Talent
  • Lower Atypical Communication
  • Higher Typical Communication
  • Lower Atypical Relationship
Kendall Jones

The choices ‘Yes’, ‘No’, ‘A Little’ and ‘Don’t Know’ felt more user-friendly, or a little softer around the edges. I did not experience as much agonizing back and forth over the answers.


Embrace Autism | The Aspie Quiz | icon Test

Five domains

The Aspie Quiz is made up of 119 questions that fall into five domains:[2]Aspie Quiz | Rdos

Aspie Quiz domains
DomainHigh ND score
indicates:
High ND score
is associated with:
Low NT score
indicates challenges with:
Talent
  • Strong/special interests

  • Noticing details and patterns
Perception
  • Routine-driven and need for predictability

  • Hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity
  • Reading facial expressions

  • Recognizing people
Communication
  • Atypical nonverbal communication

  • Stimming
  • Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC)
  • Ability to interpret typical nonverbal communication

  • Ability display typical nonverbal communication
Relationships
  • Atypical attachments

  • Atypical sexual preferences

  • Typical dating

  • Typical sexual preferences

Social
  • Egocentrism

  • Correctness over social acceptance
  • Social skills

  • Forming friendships
A table showing the five domains of the Aspie Quiz and what the scores in each domain correlate with.

Recommended next steps

After the Aspie Quiz, consider taking one of the tests below.

Autism Spectrum Quotient

A simple screening test that is used as a basis
for pursuing a formal autism evaluation

CAT-Q

Measures camouflaging, and can account
for lower scores on other autism tests

RBQ-2A

Measures restricted and repetitive behaviours in adults

Online autism tests can play an essential role in the process of self-discovery, and may inform your decision to pursue a formal diagnosis. For a formal assessment, please see a knowledgeable medical professional trained in assessing autism.


An illustration of a clipboard with a checklist or assessment.

If you are looking for an autism assessment,
Dr. Natalie Engelbrecht can offer help!
You can find more information here:

Online autism assessments

References

This article
was written by:
drengelbrecht-and-eva

Dr. Natalie Engelbrecht ND RP is a dually licensed registered psychotherapist and naturopathic doctor, and a Canadian leader in trauma and PTSD, and she happens to be autistic; she was diagnosed at 46.

Eva Silvertant is living up to her surname as a silver award-winning graphic designer. She also loves researching autism, astronomy, and typography. She was diagnosed with autism at 25.

Note: Eva is trans, and used to be Martin Silvertant.

Disclaimer

Although our content is generally well-researched
and substantiated, or based on personal experience,
note that it does not constitute medical advice.

Comments

Let us know what you think!

A hand pointing down (an index symbol).
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
319 Comments
Inline feedbacks
View all comments
319
0
We would love to hear your thoughts!x